SMALL INTESTINAL BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH (SIBO) BREATH TESTING PROCEDURE INSTRUCTIONS
Please be aware that your Hydrogen/Methane breath test (SIBO breath test) will take approximately 2 hours to complete. To ensure accurate results, you must avoid certain foods, medications, and supplements prior to the test. Many of these items can be metabolized into hydrogen or methane gas and falsely influence the results of this exam.
- Wait at least 4 weeks after a colonoscopy or barium enema before beginning the test.
- If you are using antibiotics, antifungals or Pepto-Bismol, wait at least 2 weeks from your last dose before beginning this test.
- It is not recommended to perform this exam during an acute infectious illness.
MEDICATION AND DIET INSTRUCTIONS :
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- Avoid the use of laxatives, stool softeners and/ or stool bulking agents (Ex-Lax, Colace, Metamucil, Miralax).
- Avoid the use of antacids containing aluminum or magnesium hydroxide (Maalox, Milk of Magnesia, Mylanta, Rolaids).
- Hold Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) (Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Dexlansoprazole, Esomeprazole, Pantoprazole, Rabeprazole)
- Hold motility agents such as Loperamide (Imodium) or Metoclopramide (Reglan) for 2 days prior to testing
ON THE DAY BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- Follow a low-residue diet that minimizes non absorbable carbohydrates (starches and sugars)
- Avoid fruits (including fruit juices) and vegetables, sugar, fiber or bran cereals, high fiber foods/ whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, milk, ice cream, yogurt, butter and alcoholic beverages.
- A typical prep diet is limited to steamed white rice, white bread, baked or broiled fish/ poultry/ meat with salt and pepper only, eggs, hard cheeses, clear beef or chicken broth (not bone broth or bouillon). Drink water, non-flavored black coffee or tea.
ON THE DAY OF THE PROCEDURE:
- No food or drink other than water for 12 hours prior to your breath test.
- You may take your prescription medications with a sip of water on the morning of the test.
- You may brush your teeth on the morning of the test.
- No smoking, including second-hand smoke, for at least 1 hour before or at any time during the breath test.
- No sleeping or vigorous exercise for at least 1 hour before or at any time during the breath test.